i'm on a roll today! maybe the reason i feel so energized is because i just came from the gym. as a lawstudent myself, i tend to find that lifestyle to be helluva unhealthy. i mean, we're always stressed, hence the need for comfort food, and we don't get to burn it off cuz we're always by coffee shops and doughnut stores studying. we use up all our energies studying and we combat tiredness and sleepiness by eating or at least munching. and that means junk food. so at the end of the day (or by break of dawn for most of us) we are stressed, from our taxing mental exercises and our stomachs full of caffeine and sugar, and little to zero physical movement at all. highly unhealthy.
so, everytime i get the chance, especially during breaks, i really make it a point to visit the gym. no, i dont go to the gym to get thin, as i happen to love the way i look, but i go to the gym in a bid to get a little healthier. get some physical movement.
if you are thinking of going to the gym here are a few guidelines:
first off: think long and hard cuz it's a pretty big commitment. you'll be shelling out 1000-3000 a month for gym membership alone so it's a big big big decision.
second: try to check out teh facilities your gym offers, and mentally compute your travelling expenses along with the other gym expenses see if it's gonna be worth it. i do this mostly to motivate myself to go to the gym.
location is very important too. check out gyms that have branches everywhere, that way you don't get restricted to just one. sometimes, after working out, i study by the gym lounge. that way, i save up on coffee. SHH :P
i dont really have a lot of advice to give in choosing a gym club cuz i was not given the chance to choose. my aunt enrolled me to one back in college and ive been faithful to that one ever since. ive been going to the gym, however irregularly, for 4-5 years now.
having said that, what i'm really an expert about is the gym essentials! what to bring:
1. gym bag - fitness first, the club i belong to gives a gym bag upon membership, but i have long since discarded mine in a pursuit of a more roomy (ehem stylish) gym bag. i honestly prefer knapsacks for comfort, since it distributes the weight evenly. but since when do we fashionistas care about comfort? :P adidas and nike have a pretty good collection of lady gym bags. it's pretty sturdy too. but whenever i get tired of my gym bags, i just use my oversized bags as gym bags
2. gym clothes - highschool or college p.e. uniforms will do. again, most sporting stores sell gym clothes, but i find i am most comfortable in running or gym shorts and a loose shirt.
3. face towel - again, fitness first gives out a face towel upon membership. but you can use any face towel. a face towel is an essential part of your gym life. you need it to wipe out those sweat beads! :P
4. gym shoes - any rubber shoes will do. again, i prefer running shoes cuz it's soo much lighter and it's breathable. ooh.. and a non-bulky shoe bag is preferred too! i use dust bags most of the time.
5. socks - any sports socks will do.
6. wrist band - optional but i use it as a sweat band. sold in most sporting stores.
7. headset and/or ipod - again optional. fitness first gives out a free headset upon membership and you can use it to listen and watch TV while doing your cardio
8. water bottle - something that's free again upon membership. this is also an essential. you would not want to dehydrate while working out, right?
9. big towel - for showering. most gyms sell towels too if you've forgotten to bring your own.
10. sports bra - this is very important for it gives you support. SoEn has a pretty good sports bra line. the price is pretty affordable too compared to the competition.
11. spare undies - for after showering.
i dont bother to bring a different set of clothes. i just use what i wore before i changed for my gym clothes. that way i dont have too many things in my bag
12. rubber slippers - so you don't walk around the locker room barefoot. most of the time i go in the gym in my rubber slippers already, that way i dont have to bring too many pairs with me.
13. deodorant - pretty self explanatory
toiletries to bring:
the essentials you need for showering. check tho if your gym provides for them. my gym provides for the shampoo and body wash so i dont bother bringing my own.
the toiletries that i bring is actually for the steam room and sauna.
14. body scrub - to use inside the sauna
15. hair spa
16. face mask
this is optional. i just do this inside the sauna if ive a lotta time to kill. and i just bring pretty generic stuff from watsons. does the trick everytime!
oooh and remember this. fitness first does not condone birthday suits inside the sauna or steam room. at least wear your undies. usually, for inside the sauna after showering a bit, i am still in my undies and sports bra.
i dont normally wear make up while working out. okay that's a lie. i wear a cheek tint. but that's it, i swear! :P
i think i pretty much covered the what to bring part. :P til next time dolls!
lemme leave you with a popular tagline from fitness first that is written in their walls--- wait lemme give a disclaimer first -- I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED OR CONNECTED TO FITNESS FIRST ASIDE FROM BEING A PAYING MEMBER. THIS IS NOT A PAID ADVERTISEMENT. I AM JUST SHARING WHAT I KNOW FROM MY EXPERIENCE ALONE IN A BID TO HELP ANYONE THAT'S INTERESTED.
okay. since we're done with the disclaimer, here is the quote i promised:
motivation is what gets you started. habit is what keeps you going.